Do you want “Success”?
Do you want to be successful, and aren’t sure where to start? We hope this will help.
Let’s start with the Webster’s Dictionary definition: Success: favorable or desired outcome; also: the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence.
For the purposes of this blog, I will be referencing the first definition. Your desired outcome is up to you. Whether it’s spiritual, financial, work, or fun, it’s not about our version or the world’s version of success. It’s about yours. So, how do you achieve success?
- Failure. How we choose to look at failing makes a huge impact on our ability to succeed. Anyone who is successful has learned to embrace failure. They learn from it, they see it as an opportunity to grow. They apply what they have learned and they move forward.
- Set goals. What do you want? What does successful look like? It needs to be specific, and you need a plan to get there. Break down the steps to attaining your goal into small enough pieces that you can work on it every day. Measure your progress. Make adjustments when needed, with the end result in mind at all times. When we see a big goal, many times it seems a monumental task. If we break the journey into small pieces, the pieces add up. Don’t focus on everything that needs to be done, or you will go crazy. Think about the end result for motivation, do today’s piece, then plan tomorrow’s piece.
- Make a commitment. Don’t back down. Your success depends on your determination to do the right things every day. If you don’t do the daily tasks, they won’t add up to the big goal. Be selfish with your time in attaining the goal. You MUST do the work every day. Don’t let anyone or anything get in the way.
- Persevere. Each time we fail, we must keep going. If what you are passionate about is worthy of your energy to start with, why would you quit?
- ACT NOW. Don’t wait for the right time to start. You will never finish unless you start. No more getting ready to get ready. Just starting something gives you powerful motivation to continue. Thinking about doing something will never make something happen. Even if you aren’t sure it will work, do something.
- Continual Improvement. Anyone who is successful is always looking for ways to improve. Read, learn, and grow. Maximize your efficiency.
- Modeling. No, I’m not talking about Victoria’s Secret. Model those who have already done what you are working on. Why reinvent the wheel? Learn from the mistakes and successes of others. They have already provided the template. Do the things successful people have done to succeed.
- Be a better communicator. No matter how good you are at communicating with others, you can be better. In our opinion, the ability to communicate effectively with others is the single most important skill you can have. Study it. Practice it. Watch others who do it well, and copy them. Read the timeless book “How to win friends and influence people” by Dale Carnegie.
- Make connections. This one is closely tied to the last one. The better you can communicate and relate to people, the more connections you will have. Connections are power, plain and simple. There is strength in numbers, and when you have multiple people working toward the same goal, you will get there much more quickly. Additionally, you can’t be good at everything. Enlist those who are passionate about their talents to help you supplement yours.
- Be flexible. Things change and we can’t avoid that….ever. Don’t even try. Roll with the changes, and adapt to the situation. If you don’t, you will only end up frustrated.
- Be humble. Humility is a huge key to happiness, and in being a good friend to others. People love to help those who are humble. Don’t blame others for your failures, it doesn’t serve you. Be accountable to yourself.
- Be optimistic. Others like to be around those who are optimistic. It encourages them. This ties into connections and communication, and enhances them both. Optimism is contagious. Optimism is fuel for self motivation. Why dwell on the negative? It does not serve you. Learn from the negative and move on to positive thoughts.
Do these things, and you will have a strong foundation for success in anything you do.
What other things do you think make a person successful?
How can we help you to be successful in real estate? Contact us to find out!